you asked...

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

Should I be concerned about lead paint in my home? How can I make sure it’s safe before I bring baby home?

Re: Should I be concerned about lead paint in my home? How can I make sure it’s safe before I bring baby home?

The Bump Expert

Yes, you should definitely be concerned. Ingesting lead paint or its dust can be extremely harmful, and small children – thanks to their tendency to put, oh, anything in their mouths – are especially at risk. (Learn about the dangers from our expert pediatrician.) Years ago, lead was added to paint to make it last longer. Paint made before World War II has the highest levels. In the 1950s, when experts started realizing the danger of lead, the amount in paint was reduced. Then, in 1978, lead paint was banned entirely from residential use. So, if your home was built before 1978, take special care.

First, get any flaking or peeling paint sealed or removed by a professional. (This goes for any paint, whether or not it’s lead based. You never know what’s under that first layer… and even if it’s not lead, baby still shouldn’t ingest it.) You can test your home for lead on your own -- Home Depot sells kits -- or, if you’re especially concerned, call your local Department of Health to find official laboratories that will do the evaluating for you. And,depending on your area, your landlord could be required to pay for elimination of the risk -- the Department of Health can also give you info on this.

Paula Kashtan

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

Lead paint is dangerous not only for babies but also for adults.It is recommended to start a renovation and to hire a specialist in order to change the wall's paint.Last year I've been in the same situation as my house is very old and I had to remove the lead paint from my walls before my baby's arrival.I've hired a team who renovated my house and they used an eco-friendly paint which smells great.They've also provided me pest services and recommended some great eco-friendly products which help me to get rid of pests without putting my baby's life in danger.

AidaRoRo |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

I have done tons of research on this topic. I am moving into a rental that is 80+ years old and probably has lead in the walls as most homes built before 1978 do. As long as the paint is not chipping and it has been painted over, you're fine. I've talked to the Center for Disease Control, a man that owns his own construction business and is certified in lead removal, doctors, nurses, etc and everyone is saying as long as baby is not licking walls, sucking on window sills or eating paint chips and you aren't doing any sanding or home renovations or have paing peeling off the walls, you are fine. Hope that helps you. I've spent a week now researching the topic.

minni_ash |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

I also heard that lead paint can be dangerous to baby. If I were you I would put some Concrete countertops on the floor. It looks good and it's also easy to clean.

deanjohnson |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

We all know housing tools, paint, root rakes and any other useful objects around the house must be carefully kept out of the reach of children, since these may severely compromise the children`s safety. It goes without saying that children should be guided all day long so that they don`t get in contact with dangerous objects or substances.

conquerer |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

Lead is definitely dangerous for baby and you could also get some pest control information. I heard it's also very harmful for baby's health.

deanjohnson |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

I know how difficult it is to do a home renovation if you are pregnant or if you have a baby in the house. There are things from paint, chalk to welded steel pipe that can be so dangerous for the baby or even for you or your husband. I recommend you, if you can, go to a relative when your husband does the renovation.

marta8080 |

Q&A: Lead paint dangerous for a baby?

If you inhale it, every chemical substance might be dangerous for baby. Last year when my wife was pregnant she tried to use the noses of K-9s against some bugs but she didn't have any health problems.

deanjohnson |