what's hot around the web

baby registry

need to buy a gift?

Find baby registries (at top retailers!) and websites with one easy search.

you asked...

Q&A: Should I have CVS/amnio?

Q: Should I have diagnostic prenatal testing? And if I do, amniocentesis or CVS?

Re: Q: Should I have diagnostic prenatal testing? And if I do, amniocentesis or CVS?

The Bump Expert

First, know there’s no“right” or “wrong” answer to this one. Folks have all kinds of different opinions (and like it or not, you’ll probably hear more than a few), but it truly comes down to what you and your partner are comfortable with. Click through the Q&As below for more info.

Q: What do CVS and amniocentesis test for?

Q: Is my baby at increased risk for birth defects?

Q: Do CVS and amnio cause miscarriages?

Q: How can I reduce the risk from tests?

Q: Why should I consider diagnostic testing?

Q: Do I need to speak with a genetic counselor?

Q: What's the difference between CVS and amnio? Which should I have?

American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists. Your pregnancy and birth. 4th ed. Washington, DC: ACOG; 2005.

Paula Kashtan

re: Q: Should I Have CVS/Amnio?

There are several screenings that we did (N/T scan and Quad screen) that gave us a general risk factor. They're both completely non-invasive and allowed us to decide (should the results show increased risk) that we could take further steps that might include a CVS or Amnio. After those results, more non-invasive options are available for further follow up. We really didnt have any desire to do either the CVS or Amnio unless several screenings and higher level ultrasounds all showed suspicions. Only then would we have even considered opting for an Amnio (not the CVS, which takes actual tissue from the fetus). Luckily all our screenings came back with very low risks. And although that doesnt guarantee there isnt a problem, we were satisfied with the results and did not pursue further testing.

emiliemadison |

re: Q: Should I Have CVS/Amnio?

I chose not to have either test because of the risk of m/c. I had genetic testing done, plus the nuchal translucency ultrasound at 11 weeks. The combined results made me confident that my baby was free of issues, so the risk involved with CVS or amnio didn't seem worth it. I would have one of the tests (probably amnio) if there was any indication there was a problem in future pregnancies.

Padme |

re: Q: Should I Have CVS/Amnio?

We chose not to do any screening or testing of any kind. It was just a personal decision based on the fact that we knew we would love a baby with or without a disability, and that we would never have ended a pregnancy based on the results of any test.

Mrs.KittyCat |

re: Q: Should I Have CVS/Amnio?

We chose to have an amnio done during my first pregnancy when the NT screening and blood work combined results showed a 1 in 65 chance of Down Syndrome. My husband and I talked at length about our decision. We decided we needed definitive results because we wanted to prepare ourselves ahead of time should our child have DS.The procedure itself wasn't hard at all. It was very satisfying to receive definitive and reassuring results 2 weeks later.With this second pregnancy I skipped all the screening tests and went straight to amnio. I'm 40 now and figured my age would skew the screening results anyway. Again, the experience was a good one and the results showed our second daughter's chromosomes to be normal. We're very thankful for the results and especially thankful that this tes is available.

KKMMex |

re: Q: Should I Have CVS/Amnio?

Please note that CVS does NOT take tissue from the baby.

merrygirl |

Q&A: Should I have CVS/amnio?

I am having CVS done at 11 weeks (Feb. 26th). Because of my age and other risk factors and health issues, I feel that this is the best thing for my partner and i. We can be 100% certain of any genetic abnormalities. Plus, we can find out the baby's sex at 11 weeks instead of 20.

rosen84 |

Q&A: Should I have CVS/amnio?

I am done doing research and we have decided that I will NOT be getting either of these test done! With that being said I will be looking into harmony BLOOD testing....that is my Finlay decision.

ReynaJael |