3 carrots chopped into cubes
1 bunch green garlic, washed and chopped in chunks
1 small sweet potato peeled and cut into cubes
1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes (discard the seeds)
1.5 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 bunch thyme
4 ounces cream
Salt, pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. (If your oven has a convection option, use it. This will ensure the vegetables are uniformly cooked.)
2. In a big bowl, mix the veggies with the herbs and the olive oil.
3. If you're in the early stages of introducing your baby to solids, choose one of the vegetables and mix separately with herbs and oil, then place in a separate pan for roasting.
4. Add the veggies to a baking pan. Cover with parchment paper and foil to prevent the veggies from drying out.
5. Cook for approximately one hour, until the veggies are browned and tender.
6. Blend the veggies (either all together, or baby's first and then yours) in a food processor or a blender, adding broth when needed to smooth the mixture. Separate out baby's portion and set aside.
7. Strain the remaining mix into a pot over medium heat, let it boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Turn the heat off and add the cream before serving.
Photo by Amy Westervelt