Yikes! Wal-Mart Pulls Formula Off Shelves After Baby Dies Photo: Andrew McCaul
A potential warning if you buy Enfamil Newborn powdered infant formula -- Wal-Mart has taken the 12.5-ounce cans off their shelves, according to CBS News. This voluntary recall happened after a 10-day old baby, Avery Cornett, from Missouri died on December 18 from a bacterial infection called Cronobacter sakazakii (which can cause meningitis and infections in the bloodstream). Over 3,000 Wal-Mart stores across the country removed the formula cans, but as of now, there’s no official recall from the FDA.
Government officials are still investigating the newborn’s death and the formula company has insisted the cans tested negative for the bacteria. It’s not confirmed if the infection was related to the formula or something else. Check back here for updates.
Are you worried about this news? Do you buy this brand of formula?
Plus, more from The Bump:
More Pregnancy and Parenting News
The Latest Baby Product Recalls
How to Pick a Baby Formula
See More: Bottlefeeding , Safety , Product Recalls
recently added questions